General John Pope (AP-110) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS General A. E. Anderson (AP-111)

In San Francisco Bay on 29 March 1945 after receiving some alterations (circled) to her anti-aircraft battery.

Photo No. 19-N-91210
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS General M. C. Meigs (AP-116)

Photographed circa 1945.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS General William Mitchell (AP-114)

At anchor on 3 February 1944 near the New York Navy Yard soon after completion.
She is showing off her array of ten triple-banked Welin boat davits, which in large transports carried regular life boats instead of landing craft. Postwar modifications to this class included reducing the number of Welins or replacing them entirely with merchant type davits.

Photo No. 19-N-60596
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS General John Pope (AP-110)

Near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 6 October 1943, just after her Welin boat davits had been mistakenly removed and replaced with life rafts. This arrangement had been authorized for the Admiral W. S. Benson (AP-120) class but not for the AP-110 class. General John Pope recovered her boats and davits in March 1945 at San Francisco.

Photo No. 80-G-83414 (probable)
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USAT General William Weigel

In service as an Army troop ship at some time before 31 Jan 48, when an Army wife and her three young children sailed in her from San Francisco to Manila. The voyage took 19 days, including a 3 day stop in Hawaii and 1 day in Guam. The Army modified the ship for a civilian instead of Navy crew but retained all ten of the ship's Welin boat davits and made few other changes. General John Pope and General W. P. Richardson would have been of similar appearance while in Army service in the late 1940s.

Photo No. None
Source: Shipscribe

 
S.S. General M. C. Meigs

Photographed circa May 1947 while being operated as a troop ship between San Francisco and Hong Kong by the American President Lines under charter from the Maritime Commission. The ship was modified for a commercial crew and repainted in the shipping line's colors but was otherwise little altered and retained all ten of her Welin boat davits.
The same photograph was also used on post cards for S.S. General W. H. Gordon, although on those cards the faintly visible name on the bow was brushed out.

Photo No. None
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS General H. W. Butner (AP-113)

Near the Boston Naval Shipyard on 6 June 1947 after being altered there to carry military dependents. The number of personnel she could carry was reduced, and the four after Welin davits and their boats were removed. The ship had a Navy crew and retained its armament. Five sisters were similarly modified in 1946-1947. The paint scheme shown here was used briefly by the Naval Transportation Service in the late 1940s.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USNS General M. C. Meigs (T-AP-116)

Shown in the early 1950s after her return to the Navy as a civilian-manned MSTS transport. She still has all ten of her Welin davits and, except for the removal of her armament, is little altered from her World War II configuration. General W. H. Gordon, General John Pope, and General William Weigel, the other civilian-manned ships of this class recovered by MSTS in 1950-1951, were of similar appearance at this time.

Photo No. NH 104661
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USNS General John Pope (T-AP-110)

Shown after being modernized in 1953 with a new arrangement of boats. Instead of five Welin davits on each side, she now has five merchant type davits on the superstructure and one on the main deck aft. Her sister General William Weigel was similarly modified.

Photo No. NH 104268
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USNS General W. H. Gordon (T-AP-117)

Shown after being modernized in 1954. Instead of five Welin davits on each side, she now has four merchant type davits on the superstructure and one on the main deck aft. She also has eight large new empty gun positions for 3"/50 twin gun mounts: two on the centerline forward, two abreast between the stacks, two abreast at the after end of the superstructure, and two on the centerline on the stern. The guns were never fitted. Her sister General M. C. Meigs was similarly modified.

Photo No. NH 104838
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS General A. E. Anderson (T-AP-111)

In service with MSTS in San Francisco Bay after being modernized during the mid 1950s. In this modernization she and her five Navy-manned commissioned sisters lost their armaments and exchanged the three Welin davits on each side for four merchant type davits on the superstructure and one on the main deck aft.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command