Bayfield (APA-33) Class, Part 2: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USSBayfield (APA-33)

Off the New York Navy Yard on 21 November 1943.
The additional command facilities that allowed the ships of this part of her class to serve as Relief AGCs (the two additional deckhouses aft of the stack) were fitted to all of them during their conversion to APAs.

Photo No. 19-N-55818
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Burleigh (APA-95)

On 4 May 1944 during her ferry voyage to her conversion yard.
Note the standard rig of the Ingalls-built ships as delivered by Ingalls: a goal post and two kingposts forward and the same aft. The temporary armament for the ferry trip is probably one 5"/51 gun aft and one 3"/50 forward.

Photo No. 80-G-224827
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-80-G

 
USS Burleigh (APA-95)

Underway near New York on 5 November 1944 after completing conversion.
This is an excellent view of the two two-level deckhouses added to make the ship a Relief AGC: one on top of the superstructure aft of the stack and one lower down between the after set of Welin davits. The apparent height of the deckhouse abaft the stack was increased by the bulwarks around its top, which was fitted as an open bridge for the embarked flag officer.

Photo No. Unknown (also 80-G-286967)
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM (also 80-G)

 
USS Riverside (APA-102)

At San Francisco on 7 April 1945.
The deckhouses containing the Reserve AGC spaces are clearly visible in this profile view. The rig, a goalpost forward and two single masts, was typical of the later Ingalls-built hulls after conversion. This ship also had an extra pair of booms stepped directly on the front of the main superstructure.

Photo No. 19-N-82861
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Cambria (APA-36)

Off the New York Naval Shipyard on 3 September 1946.
The command facilities in this ship were further enlarged at San Francisco in April 1944. Additions included a tall signal mast with its flag bags on the after end of the taller command deckhouse and some smaller structures on top of the lower one.

Photo No. 19-N-95964
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Bayfield (APA-33)

Photographed on 6 February 1952.
The ship has acquired a signal mast for its command facilities and a third level on its lower command deckhouse.

Photo No. NH 99243 (originally USN 438673)
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Fremont (APA-44)

Photographed in the late 1940s or early 1950s.
This Ingalls-built ship and sister Henrico (APA-45) emerged from conversion with a rig of three Ingalls-style goalposts. In April 1944 Fremont received a unique non-standard armament including three 40mm quadruple mounts (one of them visible here foward). Note that her command facilities have expanded to port to the extent that the forward port boat davit and its boats have been removed. She retained her davits and boats to starboard.

Photo No. USN 1045447
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Cavalier (APA-37)

Photographed on maneuvers during a 16-18 December 1963 visit by Secretary of the Navy Paul H. Nitze to the West Coast.
Her configuration appears roughly similar to that of Bayfield in 1952, with a signal mast and an additional level on the lower command deckhouse.

Photo No. KN-8765
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS Chilton (APA-38)

In the Mediterranean on 20 December 1967.
She is replenishing from USS Allagash (AO-97). Note that her command facilities have expanded to port and displaced the forward boat davits and its boats.

Photo No. K-43250
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command